Monday, May 06, 2013

Nature's Timer


My kids love to go to the park, but they hate when I tell them it’s time to go home. They always say that we haven't been at the park long enough and protest the whole way back to the van. I feel bad for one, because they really love to play, two, because sometimes they are right, especially in the summer when it is hot out, especially where we live. Sometimes I do ask them if they want to go, but I know what their answer will be..NO. But in the end, it is my decision.

They are young and don't really understand. I have nothing against taking them to the park or letting them play for a while. But when my two red haired daughters (I am still not sure where the red hair came from) start getting beet red, not from being sunburned, but just from the heat, it is time to leave...now. I have tried to explain it to them, but all they know is that daddy is stopping them from having fun. But, the health and safety of my kids takes precedence over their "fun time" every time.



I feel bad about it sometimes. Not for very long though because I know that I am doing the right thing, something any good  parent would do. So, in a way, I am using my daughters as a timer for how long to let them play at the park, or outside or in general for that matter. At least during the summer anyway.

No comments: