Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Money Well Spent

Today was not the typical day for us. At least not the morning portion.

Normally, in the morning on a school day, I first walk with my 16 yr old step-daughter most of the way to her bus stop. I know that she not too thrilled with this arrangement, but for my piece of mind, it can't be helped. The thought of her walking all that way at a quarter to six in the morning by her self kept me up at night.

On this particular morning, everything went as usual, we walked along, her trying to pretend that I was not there and me on the look out for potential dangers. There was some weird guy standing in his open garage with no shirt on and a puppy at his feet. Another girl happened to be walking to the bus but on the opposite side of the street from us, on the same side as shirtless man. He tried to make small talk with her. I have no idea if she knew him or not, but his puppy seemed to want to get to know her. The girl crossed to our side of the street, I assume to get away from the weirdo.

She started walking next to my daughter and me, trying to strike up a conversation with her, which I thought was nice since we are new to the neighborhood. My daughter pretty much ignored her for a bit. I thought I would take that opportunity to bow out and return home since she had a walking buddy. I saw them exchange some words and thought they might strike up a friendship. Then the girl proceeded to cross the street again an head to the bus stop. I forgot to ask about the incident when she returned  home from school, but I will tomorrow. I thought she would want to make friends being the new kid at school in your teen years is not an easy prospect.

After getting back home, I woke up the other four kids so they could get ready for school. I would take them to school then load up my youngest son Jeff and take him to his third consult with a third orthodontist. It was an hour drive so we were hoping it was worth the time and gas money this time. To your surprise and joy, it was. The nicest people and doctor we have met so far. He answered all our questions, went through the pictures that were taken of our son's teeth and the x-ray. We decided to let them do his treatment. Again, to our suprise and joy, they were very accomodating with respect to payment for the procedure. Though, in the overall picture, it will be expensive, but they are letting is make interest free payments. We didn't  have the money today to put down to allow them to start treatment, they would start today and take out the first payment on payday. The only way things could have gone better was if they told us it was going to be free.

I guess this was proof that somethings do go our way despite a previous theory of mine that nothing did. I still haven't won the Powerball yet, but this will do for now.

We have to take him back next week and the following week to get his final appliance installed and to get him fitted with his headgear which he will have to wear at night and bet time for the next 6-8 months. Then on to the second part of treatment...bottom braces. Not something I want my son to have to go through, but if left untreated, the problem would be a lot more difficult to treat properly, if not impossible.

This will probably leave us broke every week, something we are already all to fimilar with. But in the end, it will be money well spent.

The rest of the day went pretty much normal...nothing exciting enough to put down in this post.

No comments: