Saturday, September 01, 2012

There is no Such Thing as a Free Lunch...


…but there is such a thing as a free haircut.
At the beginning of August, my wife saw an advertisement on TV about JCPenny giving free haircut to kids in 6th grade or lower throughout the month of August. I must say that I was skeptical. There are tons of kids out there that fall into that category and I am sure most of them usually get haircuts at the beginning of school at their parent’s request. There must be a catch. There is always a catch.
Well, my wife finally made the appointments for their cuts and we stopped by the school, picked up the kids early and off we went. When we got there, I soon realized why they were giving away free haircuts. The place was like a ghost town. There were at least five hair dressers in their salon and none of them were busy.
They assigned one hair dresser to all four of my kids. She did an OK job on each. My two boys just got their hair buzzed but she took a longer time with them than with my two girls who just got a trim.
Anyway, after all was said and done, our bill was $0.00. Yep. A free lunch. Or in this case, free haircuts. That was great. Can’t beat free unless they had paid us to cut my kids’ hair (like that would ever happen). I started out with t he kids and my wife got the receipt and we all loaded back in the van and were on our merry way.
My wife said how cool it was that we got all four of our kids hair cut for only $20….and there it was. Yep. Nothing is free. Not even a free haircut. She paid the woman $20 as a tip. She probably should have paid a bigger tip, but that is all we had. The reason we were getting free cuts in the first place. Money is almost extinct around our house these days. We still thought it was a good deal.

No comments: